strip debug

Arzola, Nelson NArzola at sla.com
Sun Jun 4 23:23:14 PDT 2000

L Vogtmann wrote:

>	I was just wondering if this was a kosher way to strip the debugging
> symbols from all the binaries on the LFS system.  Any better ways?
>
> % find / -type f -exec strip --strip-debug '{}' ';'

If I remember correctly, I tried to use something very similar.  I
discovered that it removed some important symbols from my shared libraries.
It takes a little longer, but I now use the following commands:

====
unix> find / -type f -perm +111 -exec file {} \; | grep 'ELF' | \
		grep 'executable' | grep -v 'stripped' > /tmp/list
unix> strip `cat /tmp/list`
====

Nelson

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com