binutils-2.9.5.0.37

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 5 09:06:58 PDT 2000

> I am having problems configuring, and then later compiling, the
> aforementioned binutils version in accordance to the LFS-2.2.3
> book.  At present, the statement:  ./configure --prefix=/usr  ,
> doesn't execute, but prompts me for my host type, when i
> configure using i586-pc-linux-gnu, it then complains that it
> can't compile conftest.c because the CC env var is not set.
> When i do set the CC environment var to /usr/bin/gcc of my
> normal and working distro, it still refuses to configure, any
> ideas ?

Does /usr/bin/cc exist? It's supposed to be a symlink to /usr/bin/gcc

That it can't detect your host is normal and I'm working on it. The
problem is the config.guess script. configure runs that scripts and the
script is supposed to return a string like i686-pc-linux-gnu but it's
not doing that for some reason (probably because other support software
hasn't been installed yet) and I'm looking into it. For now,
--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu (or whatever your cpu is) does the trick just
fine.

If CC is set, or /usr/bin/cc exists and it still can't configure
anything please give us the output of the configure script.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com