perl - missing seperator - fixed

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 5 09:09:30 PDT 2000

> Well, whoever mentioned that /dev/null was the problems was correct....
> For some reason when I did cp -av /dev /lfs, /dev/null was a normal
> file...
> very odd that /dev/null would cause a problem ONLY when compiling
> perl...all the other programs before perl compiled just fine...

It's pretty weird. I do a cp -av /dev $LFS and it works fine, /dev/null
(and zero as well) copy just fine to the LFS partition.

Perhaps the 'cp' program on your normal Linux system is too old or buggy
or something to that effect. I hope the 2.4 kernel will be available
soon so we can use the dev file system (Devfs. Kind of like the proc
file system - a virtual system maintained by the kernel). I just have to
look into how devfs is accessed from within the chroot environment.
Perhaps it can be mounted again (and hopefully that doesn't confuse the
kernel) from within chroot. We'll see about that later.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com