keeping source trees

Greg T Hill greghill at terranova.net
Tue Jun 6 03:42:14 PDT 2000

If you have to patch a source tree, edit the makefile,  configure with special
options, etc.. it may be a good idea to  tar and zip your source tree and save
it.  Do a 'make clean' to remove the .o files if you want to save space, if you
don't, you can just unpack and run 'make install' to reinstall a package.  On a
couple of packages where I've had to set environment variables before compiling
I've saved those lines in a script that runs 'configure' after setting the
variables,  that way, if I have to recompile, which is likely on these
packages, it's much easier.

A side note on Unix trivia, I picked up a copy of Kernigan & Pike's "Unix
Programming Environment"-1983,  and the chapter on filesystems describes /etc
as holding "system miscellania",  so I guess the origin of /etc really is "et
cetera".

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com