LFS-2.3.4 released

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 6 09:43:15 PDT 2000

> Just a reminder: the 'else' in /etc/init.d/checkroot ist still
> missing. I'm also not sure if running lilo from our LFS is really a

It's on the TODO list for 2.3.5 (2.3.4 actually is 2.3.3-revised but I
like 2.3.4 better. 2.3.4 has the same bugs as 2.3.3, just the kernel
part has been fixed as the major problem. The rest follows later)

> smart thing to do. If for some reason you messed up at the kernel
> configuration, since we only added an entry for LFS in lilo.conf, our
> system will be unbootable. I suggest either adding LFS at your
> distribution's lilo.conf (that's what I do) or mounting your dist's fs
> at LFS and add an image for that to lilo.conf. But maybe that's what
> you mean by "not the way I want it to be".

Exactly. The lilo part was moved around a bit (it was in a different
chapter first) and wasn't fixed to satisfy the new situation. It's one
of those things that was a quick-fix and don't have the desired end
result. But at least the lilo error message about expecting some lilo
signature in the MBR should be fixed now and that was the second main
reason for getting this 2.3.4 quick-fix-release out in the world. I'm
not too proud of it, but I'll restore the reputation in 2.3.5.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com