configure and gcc hang

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 6 09:50:39 PDT 2000

> i'm doing ver 2.2 and i'm to the point where i compile
> gcc on my LFS system (as opposed to where i compile it
> on my main system and have it install on LFS) but when
> i configure it waits a long time then says something
> about it can't find what host i'm using.... i also
> made a very small program ("Hello world!") in C and
> tried to compile it.  It just hung there (and if i
> remeber correctly i think the system became very
> unstable, seg faults for ls even, but my may be wrong)

The quick solution: download LFS-BOOK-2.3.4 from
www.linuxfromscratch.org and start over again. 2.2 has a number of
problems with gcc and glibc installations. 2.3.4 fixes most of them (and
introduces a few other problems which are all known as of now so you
can browse the mail archives to find the cures)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com