LFS iso image

Georg Wilckens durandal at nfinity.de
Tue Jun 6 10:01:52 PDT 2000

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 05:17:11AM -0700, phantom wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any possibility of putting all the sources,
> the tarball for the book, and possibly the bootdisk stuff I've heard
> about, all into an iso image (maybe even bootable CD option?  my 486
> can't boot CDs of course but for Pentium installations.....).  Perhaps
> also have some kind of install script, to make things a little more
> automated (mainly to be able to have unattended or minimally attended
> install, or multiple
> installs).  I know the main point of LFS is to learn Linux
> under-the-hood, but it would also make a good, bolted down system to

I don't think the LFS-system will be the most secure thing in the
world. Most dists choose a finer grained level of access for daemons,
etc. by creating designated users for them and su(1)ing there. LFS is
more transparent, so if you know what you are doing, you are better
off.

> assure security for a firewall/router (or at least you can be sure its
> configured that way).  I have read a while ago about automated scripts,
> but I'm not sure what the status is of those currently.

There is another project called rocklinux about which I have heard
that it is basically a scripted LFS without the learning effect.

> So if anyone has any info regarding these things please let us all know.
>
> I don't have a CD burner myself but have access to one at work, and if I
>
> could just burn a CD with all the stuff necessary to do LFS really from
> scratch (i.e. no "normal" Linux system before LFS needed, just
> install it right from the CD and get a base system loaded, then compile
> everything else) that would be great.

Go take a look at rocklinux.

Regards,
	Georg
--
Georg Wilckens <durandal at nfinity.de>

It's men like him that give the Y chromosome a bad name.
News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com