LFS iso image

phantom phantomx at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 6 12:19:20 PDT 2000

Georg Wilckens wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 05:17:11AM -0700, phantom wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there is any possibility of putting all the sources,
> > the tarball for the book, and possibly the bootdisk stuff I've heard
> > about, all into an iso image (maybe even bootable CD option?  my 486
> > can't boot CDs of course but for Pentium installations.....).  Perhaps
> > also have some kind of install script, to make things a little more
> > automated (mainly to be able to have unattended or minimally attended
> > install, or multiple
> > installs).  I know the main point of LFS is to learn Linux
> > under-the-hood, but it would also make a good, bolted down system to
>
> I don't think the LFS-system will be the most secure thing in the
> world. Most dists choose a finer grained level of access for daemons,
> etc. by creating designated users for them and su(1)ing there. LFS is
> more transparent, so if you know what you are doing, you are better
> off.

Oh OK, well I have been using Linux since RedHat 6.0 came out, and I sort of
know what I'm doing but I'm still only a Linux guru-apprentice so to speak...
;-).

> > assure security for a firewall/router (or at least you can be sure its
> > configured that way).  I have read a while ago about automated scripts,
> > but I'm not sure what the status is of those currently.
>
> There is another project called rocklinux about which I have heard
> that it is basically a scripted LFS without the learning effect.

Yes I've heard of RockLinux, I don't remember where I saw the link, maybe
Freshmeat...
I heard someone maybe on this list or the Orange County LUG list I'm on,
mentioning problems with Rock.

> > So if anyone has any info regarding these things please let us all know.
> >
> > I don't have a CD burner myself but have access to one at work, and if I
> >
> > could just burn a CD with all the stuff necessary to do LFS really from
> > scratch (i.e. no "normal" Linux system before LFS needed, just
> > install it right from the CD and get a base system loaded, then compile
> > everything else) that would be great.
>
> Go take a look at rocklinux.

Maybe I'll just cook one of these and give it a try....

--
Matt M
LinuxKnight

linuxknight at xoommail.com