keeping source trees

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 6 12:52:45 PDT 2000

Hi Mark,

> I'm wondering how important it is to keep around the source trees for the
> various packages I've installed. The kernel source tree makes sense, since
> there are obviously other programs that make use of some of these header
> files. I also found while installing openssh that it looked for a header
> file from another package (I forget which one, off hand). But generally
> speaking, can these be deleted, or will they be needed?

And now my opinion:

generally I don't keep unpacked source archives. Just keep the tarballs
somewhere close when you need them. Presently I'm building
apache+ssl+php and I had to keep the apache source tree in place so php
and ssl could be compiled properly (one of the steps includes patching
apache using mod_ssl so apache becomes ssl-aware). But generally you'll
find out when you need to keep source trees alive - when a package says
it needs it. Otherwise, remove tree, keep tarball somewhere save and
you'll be just fine.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com