gcc + binutils - installdirs

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 8 07:16:12 PDT 2000

> 1. what is --tooldir exactely defined to be - only compiling related data?

You can install compilers and binutils for different architectures so
that you can cross-compile and cross-link. This means you can compile a
package on your i586 machine that generates code for an Apple PowerPC
machine. To accomplish this you need a special compiler and linker.

To keep those programs separated they're put, by default, in /usr/<arch>

So your normal compiler goes in /usr/i585-linux-gnu and your ppc cross
compiler/linker go in /usr/ppc-linux-gnu (or whatever the usual ppc
architecture string is)

> 2. I guess libs and headers in there are what is commonly pack-devel
> - how do we separate runlibs and devellibs if we don´t do our daily compiling?

Libs are needed when you execute a program. Libraries (except static
ones - the ones with the .a extension) are loaded as soon as you start a
program. The presense of dynamic libraries simply means that there is
(or has been) a programs that needs it. Don't just remove dynamic
libraries. I'd say move them to a different directory first and run the
system for a while. If you don't get any complains about 'library not
found' then you probably are not using that library anymore (make sure
you run every single program you need and use).

Taking this into account you could say that all static libraries are
what you call devellibs. They're only used when compiling a static
program and are never used after that. Runlibs are all the dynamic ones
(ie: the ones not ending in a .a extension)

> 3. would /usr/<arch>/bin/prog not mean to add this dir to PATH?
> -. ("strip foo" would not work if searched for in the default PATH, would it?)
> 4. what about the versions of those "doubled" progs which come with both
> -. cc+filt, ld are at least installed with gcc, too
>
> Erika
>
> --
> News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com
> (no subject is required)