Bash error

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 8 15:44:20 PDT 2000

> When I first installed linuxfromscratch, I installed bash 2.0.4 using the same
> instructions for bash 2.0.3 that was the then current LFS.
>
> That's the environment I just used to rebuild LFS.
>
> Could it be related to the fact that for PPC we use a newer (development)
> binutils? (glibc 2.1.3 requires a higher level than current "stable" version
> of binutils for PPC platform).

Everything is possible I suppose. I still haven't seen the error
personally so I don't have any answers. But if you installed bash-2.04
without modifications and you then installed Glibc using a bash-2.04
shell and Glibc didn't complain about illegal characters in variable
names, then I don't why the reported error was about. I don't think it's
binutils related. There's only one way to find out for me: install
bash-2.04 on my next LFS system and then install another LFS system from
that LFS system and see what happens.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com