cpu optimalizations

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 8 19:00:32 PDT 2000

This subject has been discussed a few times and I have a few questions.

Suppose I have a CFLAGS environment variable that has a few gcc options
so things get compiled for a specific CPU (and not for the general i386
cpu). What if a package defines their own CFLAGS variable? Of course we
can override it with "make -e" but what if a package defines a series of
macro's (with -Dmacroname=macrovalue)? If we use the environment
variable CFLAGS that of course won't include any of the macro's and
and other things that are used by a package which can result in a
package that doens't compile properly or not at all.

How would we overcome that? Editing the Makefile files for every package
to manually include those extra options for cpu optimalization isn't
that great a solution to mention in the book.

Anybody has some experience with this?

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com