LFS Database was(Re: Vacation ended, made up my mind, here is what I want to do)

Georg Wilckens durandal at nfinity.de
Fri Jun 9 02:17:13 PDT 2000

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 04:17:45AM -0400, Bryan Dumm wrote:

> > Soon after advancing beyond the level of a basic Linux-Installation,
> > the amount of software you can usefully install becomes too great to
> > include it in a book with a linear installation path. I recommend
> > building a public-accessible database, where infos about the packages
> > are stored. Files, dependencies, reports of success, useful
> > configuration.
> >

> That sounds like a good idea. LFS can continue in a way, seperate
> from the book, while at the same time taking the responsibility off of
> Gerard, and putting it onto whomever entered comments, reports,
> etc.

Precisely. Compiling X can be a real pain. I want a
window-manager. There are a few libraries for X, which virtually
everyone needs. I have compiled GNU Emacs and it takes 15 seconds to
load, 1 second at my current distro. All this could be included. Yes,
most probably it's all there already, but I'd like to have it in one
place. Sooo... the future of LFS might just depend on how long it
takes Gerard to write a forum for that (from scratch of course) :)

Regards,
	Georg
--
Georg Wilckens <durandal at nfinity.de>