LFS Database was(Re: Vacation ended, made up my mind, here is what I want to do)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 9 08:01:52 PDT 2000

> Precisely. Compiling X can be a real pain. I want a
> window-manager. There are a few libraries for X, which virtually
> everyone needs. I have compiled GNU Emacs and it takes 15 seconds to
> load, 1 second at my current distro. All this could be included. Yes,
> most probably it's all there already, but I'd like to have it in one
> place. Sooo... the future of LFS might just depend on how long it
> takes Gerard to write a forum for that (from scratch of course) :)

There's a greater need for these things than I originally realized. I
understand that people find it handy to have all information in one
place, but we shouldn't encourage people to become lazy. There truely is
a magnitude of available information at LDP. That actually is the main
reason for not including the optional things anymore.

Since these extra things contributed by you guys won't make it in the
LFS-BOOK we'll have to find a better way to make them available. Paul
puts those items in www.pcrdallas.com/docs/lfs-hints.

The site is going to be transformed soon and will be heavily database
driven. Including a section where you can select from a list which topic
you want to read about, the database can pull out the releval articles
and give them to you. This way you guys can just keep telling about
thing that don't compile out-of-the-box (or don't work well when compiled
out-of-the-box..like an emacs taking 15 seconds to load isn't working
well). I don't have any problems whatsoever creating such an interface.
Ideally you can logon to the website and enter your own stuff (select a
catagory, create a new catagory and enter the information on how to do
something). That would mean it's open for abuse. But a bit of trust is
necessary.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com