LFS Database was(Re: Vacation ended, made up my mind, here is what I want to do)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 9 12:35:20 PDT 2000

> Georg Wilckens [durandal at nfinity.de] wrote:
> > Precisely. Compiling X can be a real pain. I want a
>
> I've compiled xfree3.3.6 a couple of times after lfs...never had any
> problems...my dislike is having to install libraries that needed by
> programs I want to run, such as window manager (icewm), Eterm ,etc...
>
> I think the variations are too great to have a "lfs-book" for this
> stuff...
>
> I haven't look at 3.5, but perhaps a cron should be in the basic
> installation...

I don't consider cron part of a basic system. My idea of a basic system
is having utilities available with which you can maintain a system and
develop other software (LFS's viewpoint of a basic system is different
than say RedHat's viewpoint of a basic system. RedHat won't have
compilers and such in their basic system but in LFS they are part of it
else you can't do much else witht the system).

Cron isn't something needed to build other software with so it's not
included.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com