scripts

Georg Wilckens durandal at nfinity.de
Sat Jun 10 05:32:33 PDT 2000

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 12:13:09PM +0100, Adam Mercer wrote:
> hi
>
> i want to set up a script on my system that runs once a day, to clean out
> temp. directories, check the filesystem and other things, but i can't work
> out how i can check if the scripts already been run for that day.

cron(8) jumps to my mind, but it seems like running cron doesn't
guarantee that a command will be executed daily. If you set it to run
everyday at midnight, it will never run if your machine is always
turned off at that time.

> i've been thinking along the lines of 'touch'ing a file after the script has
> been run and then before the script is run check the datestamp of that file,
> if the dates the same don't run the script if it's different run the
> script - but i just can't work out how to check the timestamp.

sed should help you to parse the output of ls.

Regards,
	Georg
--
Georg Wilckens <durandal at nfinity.de>

"Don't say yes until I finished talking." -- Darryl F. Zanuck
News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com