Vacation ended, made up my mind, here is what I want to do

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 11 11:45:59 PDT 2000

>     of course Gerard will comment here with his own point of view, but i
> personally think that LFS is a HOWTO on how to build your own system.  you
> can (and should) modify it as you see fit.  lfs is not a distribution with
> strict guidelines on the filesystem hierachy, systems of packaging, or
> otherwise; if you want that, it is always possible to rebuild any of the
> current distributions from source (Slackware in particular fits this role
> nicely.)  rock-linux is also designed around this concept.

This "information system" (LFS-IS?), in my eyes, is mainly to provide
an extra level of support to users of LFS systems. Since with an LFS
system you're on your own when it comes to getting some package working
(which might require a slightly different-than-documented approach in
certain cases) this InfoSystem could be of tremendous help. Why spending
hours and hours figuring out something when somebody else already did it
(ok I would do that hours of figuring out anyways just because I want to
learn something but not everybody's like me). You could look up some
info, get a hint or two and continue on your quest to install some
exotic program xyz.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com