Vacation ended, made up my mind, here is what I want to do

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 11 12:17:13 PDT 2000

> I also think that only the absolutely neccesary (sp?) programs be installed
> (i.e. cron is not /needed/ to boot or regularly use Linux (I haven't used
> it in the 2 years that I've used Linux or FreeBSD)).

Find isn't absolutly necessary either. Neither is m4, bison, flex, etc

LFS's sense of a basic system is a full development system. Whether to
add cron or not I don't know yet. If you look kernel automounters, you'd
need cron so it will unmount and unload modules regularly. I haven't
made up my mind about it yet.

> I have not created a Linux distrobution from scratch yet; I am waiting for
> kernel 2.4 to come out. The closest thing for me is Green Frog Linux, which
> basically is the core LFS that the user customizes. Thank you, Gerard, for
> the information on how to create the core LFS. I hope you stand by your
> choice against the optional stuff, as you have in the past.

Thanks.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com