ssd output to /var/log/messages?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 11 12:23:11 PDT 2000

> "Kurt V. Hindenburg" wrote:
> >
> > Is there anyway to get the output of the start-stop-daemon to go to
> > /var/log/messages?  I'm using the "fancy" scripts now, but I find it
> > irrating that if I get any errors starting/stopping services they are
> > not logged.
> > Having the problem logged would be easier than altering the scripts
> > to stop on an error...
> >

> you can modify ssd to log errors with syslog()... if you're not a coder,
> contact me and i'll do it for you...

That's an option. The reason start-stop-daemon is used is because Debian
used it (and LFS was based on Debian in it's early days). I'm looking at
a way to do the same things without using a program like
start-stop-daemon and just use shell scripts. That way you can control
what's logged, how things are logged and so forth. There is a program
called 'logger' that makes entries in the system log using syslogd. This
program could be used to log thing to syslog instead of stdout or
stderr.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com