scripts

Claudio Nieder private at claudio.ch
Mon Jun 12 04:35:41 PDT 2000

Hi,

> . and .. is NOT accepted by rm as the last path component of a file.

You're right, rm on my Yellowdog Linux does not accept .. even though

> ----- from man page ------
> It is an error when the last path component of file is either . or ..
> (so as to avoid unpleasant surprises with 'rm -r .*' or so).

my man page does not mention it (from fileutils-4.0-19.ppc.rpm).

Nevertheless, I destroyed my complete home directory on another Unix
some years ago, so I won't change my practice of never using .* in
any command. You can't be sure, every command is implemented that
intelligently.
				claudio
--
Claudio Nieder, Kanalweg 1, CH-8610 Uster, Tel +41 79 357 6743
mailto:private at claudio.ch  http://www.claudio.ch  icq:42315212