rc Script Failure

Clyde Wilson clydew at clydew.net
Mon Jun 12 09:45:34 PDT 2000

When version 2.3.3 of the book came out, there was a change in
the rc script.  This change prevents rc0.d or rc6.d from
killing something started by rcS.d

This was first noticed when I installed the hwclock scripts
from Debian.  The system clock is updated by the hardware clock
in rcS.d.  When halting or rebooting (rc0.d or rc6.d) the
hardware clock should be updated, but it isn't.  gpm which is
started in rc2.d thru rc5.d is nicely killed in rc0.d and rc6.d

The problem was solved when I went back to the old rc script,
which came with the sysvinit package.  Perhaps the book
should mention this.

Clyde Wilson

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com