rc Script Failure

Arzola, Nelson NArzola at sla.com
Mon Jun 12 12:29:39 PDT 2000

If you are using the xntpd package, you do not need (and perhaps do not
want) 'hwclock' in your rc.0 and rc.6 configurations.  The reason is that
xntpd initiates a special kernel mode that write the system time (kept
correct by xntpd) to the hardware clock something like every 11 ms or every
11 seconds (I remember the 11, just not the units...).  If you run hwclock,
you cause the mechanism to shutdown.

Another point, make sure the call to hwclock occurs in your system scripts
before you start xntpd.....

Nelson