ssd output to /var/log/messages?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 12 14:01:58 PDT 2000

> On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 03:23:11PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>
> > > you can modify ssd to log errors with syslog()... if you're not a coder,
> > > contact me and i'll do it for you...
> >
> > That's an option. The reason start-stop-daemon is used is because Debian
>
> What is the start-stop-deamon good for anyway? Couldn't you just start
> the programs by calling them directly?

The main reason was for when you kill programs. Not all programs leave
files in /var/run so a kill -9 `cat /var/run/prog.pid` does not work on
every daemon. start-stop-daemon scans /proc to find the daemon you want
to end. We can code our own ps|ax parser variant to find the correct PID
to kill. But since I used to lack those skills when I started LFS I
reverted to LFS. Never changed it since but the time has come to get rid
of start-stop-daemon and get a decent ps|ax or /proc parser to do the
same job.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com