Finished! one question (possible bug/typo)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 12 14:05:08 PDT 2000

> Hi,
>
> I just booted into lfs sucessfully for the first time!
>
> Initially I was getting an error at bootup about not having permission to
> execute the "rc" script.
> So I did a chmod 755 on it and it worked fine.
>
> I checked the book and found that in lfs2.3.4 it instructs to chmod 755 on
> all the scripts in /etc/init.d/ but not rc?
> Is this an error or is there a reason for this?

It's an error which has a logical explanation:
before 2.3.4 the rc script was simply copied from the sysvinit package.
That file already had the correct permissions. But now the script
doesn't come from a package anymore and is manually written (copy
copy/pasted from the book) and now we have to set permissions ourselves.
I'll fix this in 2.3.5

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com