rc Script Failure

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 12 14:08:00 PDT 2000

> When version 2.3.3 of the book came out, there was a change in
> the rc script.  This change prevents rc0.d or rc6.d from
> killing something started by rcS.d
>
> This was first noticed when I installed the hwclock scripts
> from Debian.  The system clock is updated by the hardware clock
> in rcS.d.  When halting or rebooting (rc0.d or rc6.d) the
> hardware clock should be updated, but it isn't.  gpm which is
> started in rc2.d thru rc5.d is nicely killed in rc0.d and rc6.d
>
> The problem was solved when I went back to the old rc script,
> which came with the sysvinit package.  Perhaps the book
> should mention this.

Actually I should fix it, not just mention it. I'll look into it. rc
shouldn't behave this way (this script was contributed and I haven't
tested it myself yet as with a lot of stuff (hence the term
"development"). I'm working on a new personal LFS system so these
matters would have come to my attention sooner or later, but thanks for
pointing it out already. I'll now explicitly keep an eye on it and fix
it in 2.3.5

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com