why etc&var links

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 14 10:13:53 PDT 2000

> Hi,
>
> In the section "Creating directories" the following links are created
> in the LFS/usr directory
>
> root:usr# ln -s share/man man
> root:usr# ln -s share/doc doc
> root:usr# ln -s share/info info
> root:usr# ln -s ../etc etc
> root:usr# ln -s ../var var
>
> Can anyone tell me why these are created?
> as far as I can tell these links are not mentioned in the FSH and
> although I think I know the reason for the man,doc and info links
> I am clueless about the etc and var links

If I'm looking for a config file I just don't feel like searching
through /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc and various other places. By making
/usr/etc point to /etc all those config files are in the one and the
same directory. Same for stuff that goes in /var /usr/var and
/usr/local/var

Also, these symlinks were left behind from the time where LFS didn't
abide FHS standards strictly. I simply forgot to remove those since LFS
is FHS compliant now (mostly anyway).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com