update TODO list

Jonathan DeHaan jdehaan at home.com
Thu Jun 15 15:24:24 PDT 2000

> Temporarily we'll have to install static files in $LFS/dev using makedev
> and when we're about to leave the chroot environment remove the $LFS/dev
> files. Then devfs must be mounted before the checkfs (former checkroot)
> script is being executed. I don't anticipate too many modifications
> being made to the book to get devfs working. I just have to clearly
> explain that when you're configuring a kernel you *have* to enable devfs
> support.
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org

Why do you need a /dev directory at all from the chroot? You shouldn't be
running any tools that need acces to them from within the chroot, anyway.
If you do find the need to make a few entries, you don't have to bother
with deleting them, unless you are worried about the miniscule space they
take up on the hard drive. When devfs gets mounted, anything previously in
the directory is hidden. If you want to be able to access the old device
names, you will need 'devfsd' to be started before checkfs - I would
recommend /etc/rcS.d/S00devfsd.
Also, you will need to check 'automatically mount devfs' in the kernel
config, or else you will have to pass a kernel parameter on the command
line: devfs=mount.

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com