update TODO list

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 16 07:42:42 PDT 2000

> Why do you need a /dev directory at all from the chroot? You shouldn't be
> running any tools that need acces to them from within the chroot, anyway.
> If you do find the need to make a few entries, you don't have to bother
> with deleting them, unless you are worried about the miniscule space they
> take up on the hard drive. When devfs gets mounted, anything previously in

True, but I didn't have time for 2.3.5 to figure out all the dev files
that are needed (/dev/zero, /dev/null, /dev/others) by mainly configure
scripts and Makefile files.

I'll do that dependency check and create the few files with mknod. For
now I just ran MAKEDEV to create the files. $LFS/dev/ is 30KB. I'm not
going to worry about that.

> the directory is hidden. If you want to be able to access the old device
> names, you will need 'devfsd' to be started before checkfs - I would
> recommend /etc/rcS.d/S00devfsd.

I already figured that one out.

> Also, you will need to check 'automatically mount devfs' in the kernel
> config, or else you will have to pass a kernel parameter on the command
> line: devfs=mount.

Why that? The kernel doens't need /dev to mount a root partition AFAIK.
The very first script to run is that devfsd script so what would the
autmount be needed for (no i haven't read the documentation for devfs
stuff. Perhaps I should and not ask these trivial questions).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com