update TODO list

Jonathan DeHaan jdehaan at home.com
Fri Jun 16 08:08:26 PDT 2000

>> Also, you will need to check 'automatically mount devfs' in the kernel
>> config, or else you will have to pass a kernel parameter on the command
>> line: devfs=mount.

>Why that? The kernel doens't need /dev to mount a root partition AFAIK.
>The very first script to run is that devfsd script so what would the
>autmount be needed for (no i haven't read the documentation for devfs
>stuff. Perhaps I should and not ask these trivial questions).

Devfsd is not necessary to use devfs - it is the compatibility daemon. You
can run devfs without devfsd, but you will not be able to refer to
/dev/sd??. It will be /dev/ide/host0/target0/lun0/part?. for a partition on
the first IDE drive.
You can't run devfsd without devfs=mount or automounted, thus anything that
needs to refer to /dev/* will fail. The root device will be mounted
read-only, but no other partition (and it sounds like the latest boot
scripts will deal with multiple partitions) and you will not be able to
refer to other partitions in order to mount them.
Since LFS compiles everything from source, you should be able to set up
without devfsd.  You will need a command somewhere in the bootup process to
mount devfs. My opinion is that the easiest way to do that is to select
automounting in the kernel config.

Jonathan DeHaan
jdehaan at home.com

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com