rc Script Failure

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 17 18:34:07 PDT 2000

> I've been keeping this piece of mail around so I could fix the rc script when
> I got to it, but I can't seem to find the original, incorrect script.  I was
> looking at book-2.3.4, and when I didn't find it there, looked at book-2.2,
> but it wasn't there either.

The faulty script in the one found in 2.3.4 I thought I fixed it, but
for some odd reason LFS-2.3.5 still contains the old script. I know I've
fixed it. It disappeared on me. So far for a book freeze. I still have
some time to fix this before 2.3.5 is released.

> In the above, there is also the shell variable sysinit_start.  Where does this
> come from, and where is it used?  It isn't in rc anywhere.

Compare the rc script in 2.3.5 with the one in 2.3.4 (as soon as I have
figured out what happened to it. It can't just have reverted itself to
the old file. Perhaps I saved it in the wrong directory or so. Sigh)

> Last of all, the shell variables RUNLEVEL and PREVLEVEL are passed from init
> to the scripts it runs (in this case rc), correct?

Actually, rc takes it from the environment variables. Do a 'echo
$RUNLEVEL' and a 'echo $PREVLEVEL' At least my RedHat system contains
those variables.

Ah, I found rc now. I thought I was editing
/home/chaser/lfs/SGML/chapter6/rc.sgml but apparently I was editing
$LFS/etc/init.d/rc

www.linuxfromscratch.org

News Reader access: news.pcrdallas.com