Root password won't work (test of init/bash/lilo.config)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 17 18:58:45 PDT 2000

> Can someone provide a different passwd and login name I could use please?
> Or can I create a user on my regular setup, give a password, say,
> 'password' and copy the encrypted stuff from there to /mnt/lfs/etc/passwd?
> And would that allow me to login with a passwd of 'password'?

Create the $LFS/etc/password containing:
root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

This line doesn't contain a password.
Enter the chroot environment (read the book for instructions) and change
your password using the 'passwd' command. It almost can't get any easier
(you might even get away without the passwd line. the passwd program
might even add the line for you when missing but I have not tested that
myself.

www.linuxfromscratch.org