package searching ...

Georg Wilckens durandal at nfinity.de
Sun Jun 18 03:36:10 PDT 2000

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 11:31:25PM +0200, Yann Kerhervé wrote:

> Someone knows where I could find a file containing :
>
> <name of a 'package'>  <url of the home page>
> ex :
> apache     	http://apache.org
> imagemagick 	http://www.imagemagick.org
>
> (obvious examples,  but sometimes it's very hard to guess the url :)

That is freshmeat precisely. So why?

> In fact, it's just an index ala freshmeat. something that could be much
> more powerfull :
>
> <binarie|library>       <pkg name>
> convert			imagemagick
> mkfs.vfat		??? (I'm still searching)
>
> a bit like debian's Contents.tgz, but adapted to LFS users :)
> I think, It could be very handy. any comments ?

Do we really need that? Programs you want to install should usually
document their dependencies. If you really want to know what package a
particular file belongs to, you can still use rpm on a regular
distribution...

nfinity:~ # rpm -q -f `which convert`
imagemag-4.2.0-9

Regards,
	Georg
--
Georg Wilckens <durandal at nfinity.de>

If you cannot convince them, confuse them.	-- Harry S Truman