Update on password not working episode.

justin at j-catter.demon.co.uk justin at j-catter.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 16:41:48 PDT 2000

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 08:10:23PM -0400, you wrote:
> > After the reboot -f I copied accross the kernel I'd built, without
> > modules, updated lilo.conf, ran lilo and booted the kernel. AOK. <VBG>!
>
> AOK? VBG?

All Okay. Very big grin.

> As far as I know Debian 2.1 is Glibc-2.0.7 based (at least the Debian
> 2.1 version I have is. I assume they are all the same)

Here we go, show how lame I am. I didn't know how to check what mine is
so I used dselect, went straight to select what to install and when
through the existing list with search:

libc5		5.4.46-3 	installed (Opt old libs)
libc6		2.0.7.19981 	installed (Req base)
glibc-pre2.1	2.0.105-2 	not installed

I must admit I don't understand this libc and glibc business. I'm
guessing that they are C libraries and that glibc is the Gnu version but
what difference it makes having one over the other is beyond my current
knowledge.

I suppose this is more a general Linux topic than LFS, perhaps this reply
ought to go there... except I'm not subscribed there.
--
Th nw mnmlst .sig                                      Justin C by the sea.