2.3.5b directory layout

Donnie Roos list at kaneda.demon.nl
Wed Jun 21 13:43:09 PDT 2000

Hello,

I have been reading the 2.3.5b version and I am confused about the new
directory layout.

A 'tmp' and 'var' directory are created within $LFS/usr
And $LFS/usr/local is filled with the same directories as in /usr with it's
own 'share' and 'man' directory.

Why is this?

the layout in 2.3.4 is more conforming to the FHS than the new one
(/usr/local should be empty). At least I see the reasons for creating the
links (man,doc,info,etc,var) within /usr. The new layout just confuses me

I am going to stick to the 2.3.4 layout (minus the usr/etc & usr/var links)
and see what happens.

Donnie Roos