Problems with 2.3.5b -> Makedev, Compiler Ops and Bash Problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 21 22:13:33 PDT 2000

> create msmouse	c 10 2 root:sys 666
> create atimouse	c 10 3 root:sys 666
> create jmouse	c 10 4 root:sys 666
> ./MAKEDEV: device: unknown major number for lp
> ./MAKEDEV: device: unknown major number for lp

I got it to and ignored it. Chapter 4 does contain these lines for a
reason:

Please note that this script dates back from 1997 and therefore can be
outdated and not support newer hardware. If you need device files which
aren't known by this script
please read the Documentation/devices.txt file in a Linux source tree.
This file lists all the major and minor numbers for all the device files
that the kernel knows about. With
this list you can create such device files yourself. See the mknod man
page for more information on how to make device files yourself.

> 2) Then, the compiler op's didn't seem to work:
> # export CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686"
> # export CXXFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=i686 -march-i686"
>
> ..and then when I do ./configure ......etc.... for bash 2.04, I get:

> Beginning configuration for bash-2.04 for i686-pc-linux-gnu
> checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686 ) works...
> no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.

check config.log for compiler output. Perhaps your compiler just doens't
understand those options.

> BTW: Please could someone explain more about the compiler optimizations?:
> a) I have an Intel Celeron CPU....is i686 right?

That's what I use and needless to say without problems.

> b) Has anyone built a full LFS system with them?

yup

> 	- Does it all build with these env variables set?

yup

> 	- Does it make it any faster?

nope. I have not seen a noticable performace increase but I'm waiting to
install X and see if that runs better somehow (it'll run better anyways
because LFS stuff just happens to run faster than bloated RedHat stuff
does). I will try to see if I can really benchmark this. If not, I'll
remove it in time.

> c) Instead of make in the book, do I need to do:  make -e  ?
> 	- is that all I have to do?

The -e parameter tells make that environment variables take precedence
over Makefile file variables. This is the only way to ensure that the
modified CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are used in every Makefile.

> install-info: unknown option `--dir-file=/lfs/usr/info/dir'

install a newer texinfo package on your Storm linux system.

www.linuxfromscratch.org