Problems with 2.3.5b -> Makedev, Compiler Ops and Bash Problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 21 22:19:38 PDT 2000

> more info. I have always used "-O6 -mcpu=k6 -march=k6" except for bash,

What's that -O6 all about? is it only available when using that patch
(since the higher level of optim. I can find in the info pages is O3)

> c) Gerard should read this too: when your CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are set, and

Don't worry, I already read each and every email posted to every lfs
list ;)

> you ./configure a program, the configure script automatically adds the
> CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS env variables to the Makefile, so make -e is not
> necessary (in fact, it would be bad to use make -e since it overrides flags
> used in the Makefile, and it could cause compilation problems). When a

You'd assume that and I did too. I proved that theory wrong. It does
update the Makefile in the top-level directory but with quite a few
packages these changes aren't made in Makefile files in lower
directories (the only example I can think of right now is the GCC
package).

> configure script is not used, I always edited the Makefile manually, and the
> CFLAGS variable was easily modifiable. I have never used make -e, as I
> feared compilation problems. So my suggestion is to simply remove all the

I never had compilation problems. Then again, if you have environment
variables set you did that most likely to override default values. So
I'd say you'd know about this (I know that most distributions do not set
environment variables that interfere with compilations unless you set
them yourself. Then it's up to you to remember that and disable those
variables).

Since not all configure scripts change the CFLAGS value in every
Makefile file through the source tree, a 'make -e' makes life easier (I
don't think it's worth my time to find each and every Makefile in, for
example, the Glibc tree and change all of them manually)

> make -e and specify that the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS should be set in
> .bash_profile and that the configure scripts automatically use them. BTW, I'
> ve always wondered what was the purpose of those -e in the static compiling
> part.

if you pass variables to the make install line (like a prefix) the -e
makes sure that when a Makefile declares a new prefix (often the
/usr/local prefix is re-declared in every Makefile file) it won't be
effective and the one supplied on the command line is always used. It's
just extra security and explicitely *needed* when installing GCC (the
static one)

www.linuxfromscratch.org