2.3.5b directory layout

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 21 22:25:45 PDT 2000

> I have been reading the 2.3.5b version and I am confused about the new
> directory layout.
>
> A 'tmp' and 'var' directory are created within $LFS/usr

Quite a few programs use those directories. Having them as symlinks to
/var and /tmp violates FHS so I removed it.

> And $LFS/usr/local is filled with the same directories as in /usr with it's
> own 'share' and 'man' directory.
>
> Why is this?

I know that /usr/local is supposed to be empty, but I also know out of
experience that not every package creates a directory when it's not
there. Often a package will do something like this:
cp file.8 /usr/local/man/man8

You either get no such directory, or, if man exists, the file.8 will be
installed as /usr/local/man/man8 and not /usr/local/man/man8/file.8

By creating the default directory layout in /usr/local you save yourself
problems later on when you use packages that lack the "check if dir
exists; if not create it; copy file" checks/

> the layout in 2.3.4 is more conforming to the FHS than the new one
> (/usr/local should be empty). At least I see the reasons for creating the

In a sense /usr/local is empty, it just contains the default directory
layout. I don't know what it meant by "empty" exactly. You can take it
basically two ways:
1) completely empty
2) empty meaning no files installed but do have a dir. layout ready for
use

I go for option 2

www.linuxfromscratch.org