New install using devfs from the start

jan.hagen at gmx.de jan.hagen at gmx.de
Thu Jun 22 00:30:19 PDT 2000

> > I'm just building a LFS and I also was curious about devfs. So I
> compiled
> > it using the linux-2.4.0-test kernel and changing some config files
> (fstab,
> > lilo.conf) (e-g /dev/hda8 -> /dev/discs/disc0/part8).
>
> I don't think I am going to like that. I still want to be able to have
> files like /dev/hda8 even if it's just so that other programs can still
> run properly. How does that work? I didn't realize that this devfs thing
> changed the structure of the /dev directory.
There is a damon, devfsd, that is to be started as the first command - I
put
it in the rcS script - that translates between the new devices and the old
devices. You can read more about it in the documentation of the kernel in
the directory /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/devfs (hope, I
remembered correctly).

Jan