Problems with 2.3.5b -> Makedev, Compiler Ops and Bash Problem

Richard Richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 22 08:06:04 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Sam BC <sambc at nights.force9.co.uk>
To: <lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 3:33 PM
Subject: RE: Problems with 2.3.5b -> Makedev, Compiler Ops and Bash Problem

> Intel's publicity certainly says that Celeron uses *almost* the same
> architecture as PII, which to me suggests somewhere *between* the PPro
> (chip) and PII (chip)... I was under the impression the only pentiums that
> used i586 were simple Pentium and PentiumMMX.

The earliest celerons (<=300MHz) are PII's with no L2 cache
Then came celeron 300a, and some faster ones which were PII's with
128K on chip cache.
Later came the second attempt at the mobile PII, a celeron with
256K on chip cache.
These days intel makes celerons by damaging half the L2 cache on a P3.

As far as the compilers care, they are all PII's

Richard