binutils (tooldir=/usr)

Donnie Roos list at kaneda.demon.nl
Thu Jun 22 11:08:26 PDT 2000

In LFS 2.3.5b Binutils is now make'ed with the following lines:

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-nls
make -e LDFLAGS=-all-static tooldir=/usr
make -e prefix=$LFS/usr tooldir=$LFS/usr

Why is tooldir overridden? (is this the correct word?)

I have read the Makefile and noticed that normally a
directory is created (i586-pc-linux in my case)
containing a lib & bin directory.

Am I right in assuming that the files that are installed
in <target>/bin & lib should reside in usr/bin & usr/lib
in a "normal" system and that this is the reason for overriding it?

btw: maybe this has been mentioned somewhere else (another list)
if so please tell me where.

Thanks,

Donnie Roos