2.3.5b directory layout

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 22 12:04:10 PDT 2000

> Why would symlinks violate the FHS and directories not?

Because FHS doesn't speak on using symlinks. Perhaps it's not totally in
violating but I just choose not to use them. If you want to use them,
nobody's stopping you.

> AFAIK no program should use these dirs within 'usr'. Could you
> give an example of such an program? (maybe the program should
> be fixed)

I can't think up the name of the program right now. I've seen a few
doing that. Sure, those programs could be fixed but if you don't know
how to fix a program having a /usr/tmp (or a symlink) just saves you
problems.

www.linuxfromscratch.org