LFS image directory structure

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 22 12:14:52 PDT 2000

Hiyo,

> A NEW STRUCTURE
> ===============
> Now, let me propose the following: Create a new directory structure, which
> would be:

I actually have a new structure setup already (in my head that is). I'm
not implementing it on the FTP site until a new stable version of the
book has been released. If I were to do it now I have to maintain
backward compability with the current stable 2.2 release because that
version uses a few files on www.linuxfromscratch.org/download which are
symlinked into /home/ftp/pub/mandatory and pub/optional.

When LFS-2.4 is ready to be released I'll do a major rehaul of the FTP's
structure and have the ftp admins do this change locally (since you
don't want to download a bunch of software when I just renamed a
directory, especially the Australian mirror will not like it as they'll
totally waste money).

> With a more functional organization, Gerard could delegate responsibility
> for entire chapters of the book. Like; LFS COULD support an X setup with a
> window manager and even a desktop enviroment - but somebody else could
> maintain these packages and install notes.

True but it will not happen. Like I told a few weeks ago I've deciced
that the LFS-BOOK will just build the foundation and not the "house"
itself. I also have told I'll be creating some kind of LFS Information
System on the website so stuff that's currently in docs/lfs-hints can be
moved to that. I can even create accounts and give people access to
certain parts of the database so you can update your own 'lfs-hint'.
It's still far away from being implemented but it's getting there.

> BTW - why not take the book to SourceForge ? We could then actively help out
> looking for errors and making notes better than now with 'releases'...
> Gerard ?

Why not bring SourceForge to the book? Along with that info system I'm
attempting to port various parts of the SourceForge site to
linuxfromscratch.org and have things like a Bug Tracker availalbe.

www.linuxfromscratch.org