Partitioning Suggestions?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 22 12:18:53 PDT 2000

>    I'm interested in hearing anyone's recommendations on partitioning this
> drive. Idealy I'd like (and assuming I'm successful) build the LFS system
> and then (when things are working) remove Mandrake completely.

I don't recommend anything when it comes to partitioning, but I can tell
you how I have done it. The book just assumes a single partition for the
sake of simplicity.

I have a 100M / partition, a 2GB /usr partition, a 250M /home partition
that's shared between all Linux systems (LFS1, LFS2, RedHat, others), a
100M swap partition shared between all Linux systems and a 2GB /usr/src
partition. I could create a 5GB /usr partition or even a 10GB one but I
don't need that much space yet. I'm one of those guys who allocates
space as I need it. I have about 14GB free on this disk so if needs be I
just create another 2GB partition and call it /usr3 Having all these
differnet /usr* partitions might seem unhandy but I find it rather
organized myself. Then again, what do you guys care how I mess up my own
system anyways ;)

www.linuxfromscratch.org