LFS upgrade problems

Hywel Mallett Hywel at hmallett.force9.net
Fri Jun 23 15:35:47 PDT 2000

"Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:20000622183825.D689 at lfs.linuxfromscratch.org...
> > configure: warning:
> > *** An auxiliary program is missing or too old;
> > *** some features will be disabled.
> > *** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.
>
> What are the two/three lines above and below it? I don't have a
> config.log here but if I see the surrounding lines I can tell you what
> the problem is. Perhaps msgfmt is missing (if so, install the gettext
> package ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gettext I believe)

To put the message into context,

checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking version of gcc... pgcc-2.95.2, ok
checking for make... (cached) make
checking version of make... 3.78.91, ok
checking for msgfmt... no
checking for gmsgfmt... no
checking for makeinfo... (cached) makeinfo
checking version of makeinfo... 4.0, ok
configure: warning:
*** An auxiliary program is missing or too old;
*** some features will be disabled.
*** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... (cached) yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... (cached) no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes

As you can see, msgfmt is indeed missing, and I'm downloading it right now!

> > configure:2799:
gcc -O3 -mpentium -march=pentium -nostdlib -nostartfiles -o
> > conftest conftest.c -lgcc >&5
> > /usr/i586-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start;
> > defaulting to 08048074
> > /tmp/ccyqsAdN.o: In function `foo':
> > /tmp/ccyqsAdN.o(.text+0xf): undefined reference to `__builtin_expect'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Which compiler are you using?

pgcc-2.95.2

--