Where are the 3 packages gone?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 23 18:19:42 PDT 2000

> > netkit-base and net-tools are installed in chapter 7 "setting up basic
> > networking". Termcap has been removed and I might have forgotten to
> > remove the link in chapter 3. The reason that termcap is removed can be
> > found in the README file of termcap. In a nutshell termcap is being
> > phased out and it's highly encouraged to start using ncurses instead.
> >
> Oh great! I dl'd the book spent hours getting the packages and now it's
> out of date! I was wondering how fast does it all get updated? I know
> Linux is evolving daily but what about LFS? How frequently does it
> change? Will I ever catch up?
>
> If I'm building a system I really do want it to be up to date - at least
> to start with.

If you use a book you don't have to necesarrily use the package versions
that are used in the book. Just download whatever the newest package is
and use it instead of the version suggested by the book. That way your
system will be up-to-date on that day. Major packages don't update all
that often. Perhaps once every few months. The book updates more
frequent but most changes are just in the installation method, typo
fixes and such. It's hard to keep your entire system up-to-date all the
time. It would mean you have to do a monthly search for new package
versions and replace the existing ones.

www.linuxfromscratch.org