2 things about 2.3.5b

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 25 13:50:15 PDT 2000

> 1) Does everyone agree that bin86 does not work? Lilo really doesn't compile

Agreed. I just found that out too (I guess when I tried it my ld86 and
as86 were from linux86. Seems I forgot to do a make install. So I
thought bin86 was installed and lilo worked fine..until I tried it again
(see a post of a few days ago). Linux86 is already on the TODO list to
be reinstated.

>     b) bin86 must be replaced by linux86. linux86 works fine, and I'd like
> to know what made you (Gerard) change from linux86 to bin86. What are
> bin86's advantages over linux86?

Reasons for switching over:
1) smaller package - linux86 540KB bin86 108KB (because linux86 contains
a lot of Glibc related stuff and other stuff we don't use).
2) easier installation of bin86 (make; make install is enough whereas
with linux86 you need to do cd as; make as86; make install; cd ../ld86;
make ld86; make install)

That was reason enough for me to switch over. But that doesn't matter
anymore.

> 2) Before making procinfo, you need to, in the Makefile, change -ltermcap
> to -lcurses.

I thought I did that (well I at least did it when installing procinfo on
my own LFS system so I must have forgotten to mention it in the book. It
has been put on the TODO list)

www.linuxfromscratch.org