GLIBC Compile Problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 25 13:52:50 PDT 2000

> > common/db_appinit.c:479: fixed or forbidden register 0 (ax) was spilled for
> > class AREG.
> > common/db_appinit.c:479: This may be due to a compiler bug or to impossible
> > asm
>
> I'd try it using a gcc without the pgcc patch applied (works for me) The error
> is of the kind sometimes generated when compiler and source disagree on how to
> optimize.

Actually the GCC FAQ has info on that "fixed or forbidding register was
spilled". It's a bug in the source that is triggered by gcc-2.95 and
higher that, for some unknown reason, only is triggered when you are
using glibc-2.0 on the system that's compiling that program. When I
switched to Glibc-2.1 these problems disappeared with it. There may be
more reasons but the GCC FAQ contains the explanation what that erorr
exactly means)

www.linuxfromscratch.org