Static vs Shared

Hendrik Brunn HVB at gmx.net
Mon Jun 26 14:49:26 PDT 2000

> Question,
>
> Is there any reason to compile static support if your using
> shared libraries.  Is I am ./configuring, I often see support
> for both configured, but am wondering if static is needed.
>
> Thank you

Well, as the others didn't get the point of your question 8-) :

./configure says:

something like

configuring static support yes
configuring shared support yes

It only says, it's configuring, it's not meant to compile both.

So, if there are no real differences between shared and static support it
just says it supports both of them.

Clever, isn't it?

It's not going to compile static *and* shared.

Compiling static or shared is ordered on make.

hvb