configure problem with ed

Michael Konrad mkonrad at syr.edu
Tue Jun 27 08:47:28 PDT 2000

Donnie,

    Did you run the kernel configuration from within your LFS system?

This is from the 2.3.5b book. I know on my RedHat 6.2 system I couldn't even
install the static software without first installing the kernel-headers rpm.
It could be that you are having a similar problem under LFS.

-----
Installing Linux Kernel

We won't be compiling a new kernel image yet. We'll do that after we have
finished the installation of the basic system
software in this chapter. But because certain software need the kernel
header files, we're going to unpack the kernel archive
now and set it up so that we can compile package that need the kernel.

Create the kernel configuration file by running the following command:

       root:linux# yes "" | make config

Ignore the warning Broken pipe you might see at the end. Now run the
following commands to set up all the dependencies
correctly:

       root:linux# make dep

Now that that's done, we need to create the $LFS/usr/include/linux and the
$LFS/usr/include/asm symlinks. Create them
by running the following commands:

       root:~# cd $LFS/usr/include
       root:include# ln -s ../src/linux/include/linux linux
       root:include# ln -s ../src/linux/include/asm asm
----

-Michael