login problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 27 09:16:10 PDT 2000

> My LFS system is behind a firewall so I am not terribly concerned
> with shadowing... I haven't done this yet but I think I need to
> remove/replace the apps created by shadow with the apps created by
> util-linux. First you have to edit the MCONFIG file before compiling
> util-linux. I think the following have to be changed:
>
>  HAVE_SHADOW=no
>  HAVE_PASSWD=no
>  HAVE_SLN=yes
>  HAVE_TSORT=yes

Now there might be a problem. I'm quite sure that the Shadow Password
Suite comes with it's own 'login' program and after shadow pwd suite
util-linux is installed which replaces shadow pwd suite's login program.
Don't ask me why I never fixed it though (well one reason is it never
showed up with the stable kernel releases. I run 2.2.16 and login works
fine with and without shadowing).

You can try a simple reinstall of shadow password suite (after
util-linux has already been installed) so it will replace the login
program with it's own version which should work better. Since I
personally don't run unstable kernels I won't test this for the sake of
putting it in the book. However I am willing to update the book (moving
a few packages around so that shadow password suite is installed after
util-linux) if somebody else can verify that shadow password suite's
login program does work with the 2.4-test* kernels (or 2.2.99-pre9 and
up)

www.linuxfromscratch.org